Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Ties That Bind

   Have you ever thought about the people in your life (friends, family, significant other, acquaintances, etc.) and wondered "Why in the world do I even try to make this relationship work?"  I have.  I have wondered that about family, friends, and my significant other.  Not that I'm proud of that fact.  I'm not.  It's just the truth.  I try to be a good person to everyone in my life, but I have found myself, on occasion, giving up.  Not caring anymore...and for me, that does not happen often.
   I realize that every relationship has some sort of ties that bind us to that other person.  Some of them may be relatively small, while others are huge.  Some are things that everyone knows about, and others remain a painful (or sometimes wonderful) secret between you and that person.  Whatever the case, when you are breaking the ties in that relationship it's painful.  Which brings me to my next question..."If it causes so much pain, why do we delay the inevitable?"  Is it because we are scared of the loss, or is it because we like the pain?  I think it may be a little of both.  And maybe because we feel like we deserve the pain that it brings.
   I think for me it is because I feel like I deserve it, and for some reason, I like the pain a little.  Maybe because the pain reminds me that life is too short to be unhappy.  It lights a fire so to speak.  I honestly have no idea. 
   Whatever the reason, I know there are some ties that need to be broken, no matter how much I feel bound by them.  As the saying goes, "Sometimes saying goodbye is the hardest way of saying I love you."  I think it is time for some goodbyes in my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment