Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Prodigal Daugther Returns...

   Today, in church, we discussed the prodigal child.  Well, for my family, I was that child.  This post is difficult to write, as I am going to share a part of my story.  While my story is much bigger than this, this is the most difficult part of it. 
   In my early twenties I found myself in deep despair.  I had ended an engagement to a wonderful man... just not the man God had chosen for me.  After that engagement I met Chris.  We met at church and things were wonderful.  Long story short, that wonderful man began to change.  The man who was supposed to love me and protect me did just the opposite.  After 2 years, I was emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and physically exhausted.  My health had gone down very quickly. 
   If you think that is bad, just wait... My spiritual life became non-existent.  I stopped going to church.  I was angry at God and everyone in my life.  To keep myself busy and occupied I started going to the gym 7 days a week for at least 3-4 hours.  Sometimes longer.  I ran 5 miles twice a week (on top of my workout).  At the gym I met one of my friends.  After several days of getting to know each other he invited me to church. 
   At first it was just irritating.  The it just started to piss me off to be quite frank.  I finally broke down and told him that if he would just shut up and leave me alone about it I would go.  So that Sunday I found myself sitting at Peachtree Community Church.  In the very back row no less.  I just didn't want to be there.  At all.
   Well God was at work.  Because every week after that I was in church.  While I was there I met the man that I would later fall in love with.  He is the only man to this day that I have ever loved.  And while it didn't work for whatever reason, he is still someone I have an immense amount of respect and love for (not the romantic kind).
   Why?  Because during the time we spent together, God used him to show love.  He sent this man to me when my life was ugly, messy, and in utter chaos.  When most people would have high tailed it in the opposite direction, he was steadfast in showing me the love and grace of Jesus.  I learned that Jesus wants me.  No matter what I have been through, or what I have done.  He is enough for me.  I am forgiven.  God fully understands how complicated we are.  But He doesn't care.  He loves us anyways. 

   I have been thinking (in anticipation of our next series at church) about what Jesus is to me.  If I could sum it up in one word, I would say that, to me, Jesus is LOVE.  He is forgiveness, grace, second chances, eternity, perfect, alive, all knowing, worthy, patient.  He is enough.  Jesus is love, and He is mine.
   I know without a shadow of a doubt that I did not deserve the grace He showed me during that time.  I certainly did not deserve His forgiveness and second chance.  But he was there and more than happy to give them to me.  Because of this, I try to love others the way that He loves me.  Do I fail him?  Yes.  Every single day there are things that I could have done/should have done differently.  But I honestly try to love others and show others the forgiveness and mercy that He has bestowed upon me.  
   When I was the one who turned my back on Him, He was waiting with open arms to welcome me home.  His prodigal daughter had returned.  And with Jesus is where she will stay.  Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment